Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Sweet Fruits of Retreat

by Jan Shannon

I practice taking time away once a year for a solo retreat. Often, this takes the form of backpacking in the wilderness or primitive camping in a forgotten spot. This year I decided to try something different.

Instead of "roughing it" and having a specific agenda to accomplish, such as books to read or questions to reflect upon--which sometimes leaves me feeling even more tired and overwhelmed than when I started--I chose to take myself to a beautiful, serene, small retreat center where I would be the only guest for four days. The innkeeper prepared fresh, healthy, and delicious organic meals with no sugar, no dairy and no wheat. (She does such an amazing job with this, you would never know those ingredients had been left out.) The massage therapist came to me with hot stones and fragrant oils. My coach facilitated a transformative coaching session over Skype. The dog and the chickens offered entertainment and play.

And the rest of the time? Mostly I spent it simply watching the lake, the trees, the birds and the beaver; dozing in the sun; walking barefoot in the grass or dipping my toes in the water; and noticing in each moment what I most wanted to do, then doing that. I was not productive. I did not accomplish anything. I did not work, make a contribution, think great thoughts, or make plans.

This could sound like an indulgence, a luxury, even a fantasy. Actually, I was working on my leadership.

I came away from this particular retreat completely restored, clear-headed, inspired, energized, and ready to return to work. Somehow I knew I could sustain the effects of the retreat for some time--and I have. Mostly what I gained was four full days of practice at being present in the moment. And that has stayed with me, and has continued to provide energy and inspiration and creativity each day since. I have more than made up for the time I took away by contributing from a full cup instead of an empty one.

It has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment