Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Get Up! Written By Derek Olsen

On top of what we already knew about the benefits of exercise, plenty of new evidence is indicating that being more physically active throughout the day contributes to a healthier, longer life and costs the organization fewer sick days. Research continues to highlight the long-term effects of physical inactivity. Since mastery of the physical domain is an important competency for effective leadership, this is a relevant topic for leaders.
On average, we spend 9.3 hours a day sitting down, and I don't think it's because we're uninformed. Data alone isn't enough to motivate us to change our habits; something else gets in the way of us doing what we know is best for ourselves.  
We value our health, yet when it comes to our work, productivity often trumps all else. What holds me in my chair is the thought that I have too much to do to be stretching or taking a walk. "I'm too busy" is a particularly stubborn belief to uproot, because I validate myself every time I look at my to-do list and add up the hours left in the day. The data seems to indicate that I am too busy, and I get to be right again--even at the cost of my own health.
I started writing this blog the way I usually do, by surfing the internet for current and relevant articles, feeling the pressure to get this done in the time that I allotted. As usual, there's an infinite amount of information to sift through, which takes a lot of time. I wanted this to be written to the best of my ability, based on credible information, and to be original and thoughtful so as to inspire my readers to make new choices. I wanted this to be as good as the other blogs that my partners at The Dede Henley Group are writing. I soon started to feel overwhelmed, because if only I had more time, I could accomplish all these goals. 
So I closed my laptop and went outside for a walk. When I came back, I simply sat down and wrote this. I did have enough time, after all. 
How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment