Monday, March 7, 2011

Be Willing To Do What You Don’t Want To

All it takes to transform your life is willingness. This was one of the first distinctions my coach, Sheila Peralta, taught me.  Willingness, as an access to transformation, is simply being willing to do what you don’t want to.  

We tend to gravitate toward what we want, what feels good, and what seems easy in the moment.  On the flip side we avoid or resist the difficult, the challenging, and the not so comfortable. This is what we call the stretch zone, where big change, breakthrough and growth are experienced.  

What if you stopped resisting what you don’t want?  What if you welcomed it?  Pulled it toward you?  Leaned into it?  What would life be like if you started doing all those things you just don't want to do?  Are you willing to do, what you don't want to do, on behalf of a life well lived?

Everything in life is your teacher.  This week, stop pushing away what has come to teach you.  Take on doing what you don't want to do, open your arms and say “yes!”.




Written By Dede Henley

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the posting, so timely and helpful. Sending you all my love, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned a big lesson on this when my family was having friction over who would fill the water bottles. We had rules, we made agreements, but inevitably one of us would fail and the others would be irritated.

    Finally I decided to make it a game: my goal was to ALWAYS be the one to fill the water bottles before anyone else could fill them.

    My experience was transformed, and suddenly the thing I didn't want to do became sort of fun. Just because I decided to make it so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, ok, I am now exercising. Three days in a row. I don't want to but am willing :)

    ReplyDelete